Basic Fry-Pan Soup (serves 1)
- 1 serving protien - cubed if needed (1 chicken breast, 1 steak, shrimp, etc.)
- 1 package ramen noodles (same flavor as protein)
- 1 serving vegetables (carrots, celery, potatoes, etc.)
- Aromatics to taste (garlic, onions, dried spices, etc.)
- Vegetable or Olive Oil
- 1 cup water (or broth to match protein)
- Extra bouillon if desired (flavored to match protein or vegetable)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Put your fry pan on the stove or hot plate and pour in just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- When oil is hot add ingredients in this order
- Aromatics, until slightly tender
- Meat until just brown on the outside
- Vegetables, until slightly tender
- Ramen noodles (not the seasoning) until lightly browned
Now for my Beefy Vegetable Fry-Pan Soup you're going to buy some steak. Now before you bite my head off for suggesting steak on a college cooking website think about this, Beef is actually CHEAPER than chicken if you buy it fresh from a butcher. When I made this at school this past year we were able to get 11 steaks for $20! A tip for college students everywhere, find all the grocery stores near campus and check prices. Figure out which store has the best overall prices for the food you will be buying and shop there. Similarly, find the best store to buy any medicine you might need, the best one for school supplies, etc. Finding the cheapest store will save you LOTS of time and money in the long run. You will also need a VERY big frying pan. I find a high edged sauce pan works best.
Beefy Vegetable Fry-Pan Soup (serves 10 or 5 hungry college guys)
- 5 lbs steak cubed
- 5 carrots sliced into 1in rounds
- 5 celery stalks sliced 1in thick
- 1 zucchini sliced into 1in rounds and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups diced potatoes (I like yellow and red skinned potatoes)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 5 packs Beef flavored Ramen noodles crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced OR 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 med onion diced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp each dried oregano, rosemary, marjoram, and basil
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 qt Beef or Vegetable broth
Other items Needed:
- Large frying pan or high edged sauce pan
- Large serving bowl
- Bowls and spoons
- Heat oil in frying pan at medium high heat and add onion, garlic, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, and basil.
- When onions are just turning glassy and soft pour out into a serving bowl.
- Add steak to pan. (Add more oil if needed)
- Once beef is browned pour into bowl with onions and garlic.
- Add carrots and potatoes to pan. (Add more oil if needed)
- Let cook for 5 minuted then add celery, and zucchini.
- Once vegetables are tender pour into bowl with beef and onions.
- Add noodles and fry until golden brown.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Pour beef, vegetables, and onions back into pan.
- Add tomatoes and broth.
- Bring to a boil and cook until noodles are tender.
- Pour into serving bowl.